YA Highway: choose your own apocalypse

Road Trip Wednesday is a “Blog Carnival,” where YA Highway’s contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question and answer it on our own blogs. You can hop from destination to destination and get everybody’s unique take on the topic.

To participate, just answer the prompt on your own blog and leave a link in the comments at YA Highway.

This week’s prompt:
Assuming we make it through the 2012 apocalypse, what do you imagine the publishing world will look like 100 years from now?

First of all, I wasn’t aware that an apocalypse was in the works for 2012. What scary and exciting news. While we might incur a devastating loss of human, animal, and plant life, just imagine all the creative fodder we’ll gain! We’ll be writing about that apocalypse for the next couple hundred years, at least. It’ll be the subject of countless 4-D feature films starring the future’s incarnation of Leonardo DiCaprio. A musical revolution will ensue, featuring post-apocalyptic “instruments” like fog horns and gas cans.

But that’s wasn’t the question. What will the publishing world look like 100 years from now? I imagine that will depend on the type of apocalypse we’re talking about. Is this a zombie apocalypse? A World War III apocalypse? An alien apocalypse?

Zombies likely won’t have much interest in publishing. Survivors of a zombie apocalypse will end up living in isolated, walled-in towns strangely devoid of technology. Each town may have a few writers, but there won’t be any way to reproduce books, much less share them between towns, so publishing will die along with our family and friends.

World War III will result in a vast loss of human life and a complete restructuring of political systems throughout the world, leading to heavy-handed governments, Big Brothers, and bad fashion. Books as we know them will be locked up in bibliovaults, and publishing will be restricted to training manuals and propaganda pamphlets—until three renegade writers band together and plot to change the fate of publishing forever.

An alien apocalypse would be most beneficial to publishing, obviously. Aliens have a keen interest in everything we do. They’ll want to study the inner workings of the human body and mind, which will be unpleasant for us, but very good for books. They will regard our literature as mysterious codes to our imaginations and will treat our authors as esteemed specimens. We’ll be provided with private writing cells and unlimited coffee—a writer’s dream.

So in the end, I’d like to leave you with my own slightly different take on this week’s YA Highway question:

Which type of apocalypse do you think would be most beneficial to the publishing world?

Advertisements

19 thoughts on “YA Highway: choose your own apocalypse

1. Milena March says:

“It’ll be the subject of countless 4-D feature films starring the future’s incarnation of Leonardo DiCaprio. A musical revolution will ensue, featuring post-apocalyptic “instruments” like fog horns and gas cans.”

Brilliant post! I can imagine the aliens using something like War of the Worlds or Pride and Prejudice to piece together the workings of the human race. 😀

• Lara Ehrlich says:

I wonder if aliens age at the same rate as humans. Maybe they don’t have young adults! Though that would be very sad, indeed.

2. Marquita says:

Interesting take, here. I don’t see any of those apocalypse favoring the publishing industry- I mean if zombies are around I’d be worried more about not getting eaten than writing a best seller…but if we had an alien apocalypse, I could see them promoting education–they’re supposed to be super important right? They would def. encourage literacy 😀

• Lara Ehrlich says:

Yeah, I doubt if the apocalypse will really be favorable for publishing, in general. Though I think you’re right to pin your hopes on the aliens!

3. osutein says:

“Ever notice how in apocalypse books/movies, people are always marching around wearing burlap sacks?”

I will be wearing a courduroy sack, thank you very much.

4. Bailey Hammond says:

Very good RTW response! I like it. I seem to prefer robot apocalypses for some reason. Must be all the Terminator movies I’ve seen. There’s tons, last I checked. Anyway, of your options, I have to agree with you and the other responses about preferring an alien apocalypse. It’s does seem better than being debrained and/or made to watch propaganda movies. 🙂

• Lara Ehrlich says:

Thanks Bailey! Also, completely forgot about ROBOT apocalypses. Hm…I may have to amend my apocalypse hierarchy now. Robots may even improve the publishing world, what with their attention to grammar and punctuation.

5. Sarah Enni says:

Um. There are about 17 amazing dystopian novels ready to spring out of this one blog post. AMAZING.

“so publishing will die along with our family and friends.” Horror.
    “leading to heavy-handed governments, Big Brothers, and bad fashion.” Serious horror (who wants to live in an UNFASHIONABLE future?

So obviously sign me up for this Alien apocalpyse a.k.a. inevitable writocracy where we reign supreme.

• Lara Ehrlich says:

Hehe. Shall have to put aside the current WIP and work on some of those dystopians, I think.

And yes–who would want to live in an unfashionable future, indeed!? Ever notice how in apocalypse books/movies, people are always marching around wearing burlap sacks?

6. Tracey Neithercott says:

I think I’ll go with the alien apocalypse, mainly because I don’t want to be A. eaten or B. blown up. Besides, some say the Mayan 2012 date was somehow related to aliens so it seems the most likely. 😉

• Lara Ehrlich says:

Hm! Did not realize the Mayan 2012 date was in accord with alien invasion. I may be smarter than I realized!

And I’m with you; we’ll definitely want to avoid being eaten or blown up.